- Pest control - seagulls Roof nesting Herring gulls and Lesser Black Backed gulls are becoming a growing concern in many towns and cities throughout the UK. Food is readily available and there are no natural predators.
Riding establishment guidance
Guidance relating to gaining a licence to run a riding establishment.
Free tourism business event
Copeland is offering free training in consumer protection for tourism businesses. Call 0845 054 8600 or check out the news section of this website to find out more.
- Pigeons and other wild birds Pigeons, starlings and other wild birds can become a problem if they are not controlled. Large numbers of birds can cause a nuisance with noise and droppings which can be hazardous to health.
Riding establishment application
Form to use to apply for a licence to run a riding establishment.
- Pest control - rats and mice The house mouse and the brown rat are common rodent pests. We all have a responsibility to ensure that our homes, gardens and local environment are kept free from rodents.
Application for a dog breeding licence
Application form to use if you want a licence to breed dogs.
Animal Boarding Establishment Act
Under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, anyone wanting to board animals commercially must obtain a licence from their local council. The Act requires councils to ensure that the business in question observes certain conditions regarding the suitability of the accommodation provided and the welfare of the animals boarded. To assist councils in doing this the CIEH convened a working party of animal welfare and industry experts in the early 1990s to draw up some model licence conditions and guidance. Councils do not have to use the CIEH model licence conditions but many of them do.
- Pest control - grey squirrels Although many people regard squirrels as an attractive part of urban wildlife, they can be a nuisance when they cause damage in gardens
Caravan site conditions of holding a licence
Conditions for holding a licence to run a caravan site.
Our Environmental Health Team can provide a range of advice and guidance on health and safety issues. We also regulate business to ensure compliance with legislation. Please note that we do not offer a pest control service. We can provide advice and will investigate if there is a serious problem but if you are looking for pest control, please contact a local supplier.
Insects and pests
Here we deal with ants, cockroaches and bed bugs. We also have information sheets on:
Application form for caravan site licence
Form to use to apply for a licence to run a caravan site. You may like to read the associated guidance about running a caravan site.
Starting a Food Business
Here is a quick guide to setting up a food business in Copeland
New Floodline number
The Environment Agency has launched an additional Floodline number for customers
Health and safety in the beauty industry
This booklet contains advice and guidance on how to keep you and your employees safe at work. The booklet is written in simple language and tries to avoid jargon and legalese.
Food Hygiene Rating System
Consult our guide to the best restaurants and food suppliers.
Hygiene ratings - places to eat in Copeland
LOOK BEFORE YOU BOOK!
The truth is, you can’t tell a restaurant’s hygiene standards by how clean and tidy the staff look or by how romantic the décor and ambience is. It’s the things you can’t see – like germs spread by bad hygiene practices – that you need to consider. There’s one easy way to set your mind at rest – check the food hygiene rating. This tells you about hygiene standards in restaurants and other food businesses.
Animal boarding establishment licence
- Riding establishment licence application Application form to return and complete if you wish to run a riding establishment.
Private Water Supplies
Concerned about the quality of your water supply? If you are on mains water contact United Utilities or if you have a Private Water Supply we can help.
Animal boarding establishment licence - conditions
Terms and conditions for animal boarding establishment licence
Tourism business event booking form
Booking form for "A Guide to Consumer Protection - Supporting Tourism in Cumbria"
Animal boarding establishment licence
Explanation of when a licence is required.