Some alterations to your home may not require planning permission and could be carried out as a permitted development, if they satisfy certain limits and conditions. These may include the following:-
- Dormers/roof alterations
- Hard surfaces/decking
Rear single storey extensions - prior approval
From 30th May 2013 you may need to apply for prior approval if you are building a rear single storey extension beyond the rear wall of the original dwelling (as built, or prior to 1948) without Planning Permission.
There is no fee for this but please fill out and return the form to us after reading our advice note.
This change is for a temporary three year period only - extensions must be completed by 30 May 2016. Once an extension has been completed you must notify the Council in writing.
Further advice is available on the Planning Portal
Free householder enquiry service
You can use our free householder enquiry service to obtain an informal view of whether the works that you intend to carry out to your home would be a permitted development or need planning permission. We will provide an informal response in writing to all householder enquiries.
To use the service download and complete one of the forms below.
Please make sure you answer all of the questions and provide a sketch of your proposal, including measurements in metric.
- Loft Conversion
- Outbuildings including sheds and greenhouse
- Walls and fences
- Hard surfacing including driveways and patios
- Satellite Dishes
- Energy equipment including wind turbines and solar panels
All completed forms should be sent to the following address:-
Copeland Borough Council
The Copeland Centre
E mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawful Development Certificate
You can obtain formal confirmation that your proposed works are permitted development by applying for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but provides proof that your household building work is lawful.
This type of application costs £86.00.
Further guidance on various householder projects can be obtained from the Planning Portal using the following links:-
- Detached and Semi Detached Houses - interactive house - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200125/do_you_need_permission/90/interactive_house
- Terraced Houses – Interactive house - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200125/do_you_need_permission/119/interactive_terrace
- Extensions – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions
- Conservatories - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/10/conservatories
- Garage Conversions – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/25/garage_conversion
- Outbuildings – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings
- Loft Conversions – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/36/loft_conversion
- Domestic Wind Turbines – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/57/wind_turbines
- Patios and Driveways – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/44/patio_and_driveway
- Porches – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/46/porches
- Satellite Dish – https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/48/satellitetv_and_radio_antenna
- Other Common Householder Projects - https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects